2.25.2011

Purple Inspired dinner

Since I was home all day during January, I had to do some fancy cooking! I was really craving my favorite Purple dinner. So I looked up a few recipes to make the AWESOME tomato soup. Of course, I created my own recipe from a few different ones.

San Marzano Soup
{yes, you have to eat a chunk of the bread when you leave the grocery store :) }

1 28 oz. can of  tomatoes {I read you have to get San Marzano}
1 shallot or onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
4 oz  C red wine 

4-6oz chicken stock
pinch of salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
8 basil leaves

olive oil


Preparation:
1. Saute onion & garlic in olive oil in pot slowly until translucent and softened substantially.


2. Add tomatoes and the stock & wine. With a wooden spoon, squish the tomatoes down against the wall of the pot. Stir in basil. Bring to a point where the soup is almost boiling and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 - 60minutes to let the soup thicken. {smell the wonderful soup!}

3. Pour into blender. Blend the soup until all the tomatoes are pureed and the soup is has a smooth consistency. {I poured it back into the pot until Nate got home}
Notes:
I would probably use only chicken stock next time. I don't care for the wine taste. Don't cook too long or it will end up like Pizza Hut dippin' sauce. Or add more stock. {We tried to eat it as left overs. Didn't work so well. Maybe we could have added more stock when we reheated}


Chopped Salad


romaine lettuce
avocado
roasted red bell peppers
bacon
garbanzo beans
blue cheese 
vinegar and oil

Chop lettuce. Chop roasted red peppers. Chop avocado. Add to bowl. {I eyeball for how much of each ingredient to add.} Mix. Serve

Grilled Cheese
...I think this is self explanatory :)

Dinner served :)
 

Nate enjoyed it so much! He even said..."this is so good. can you stay home all the time?"

Why, yes! I would love too!!




No comments:

Post a Comment